Importing CAD Model To Esprit-Solid Turn Lathe
- Open esprit
Select a template to load saved tools and machine settings.
- Open cad file
- File / Open – locate the CAD file to open. STEP .STP files work best
- CHECK THE MERGE BOX ON THE BOTTOM LEFT
- ORIENT CAD MODEL
- Turn on Sub-elements and Hi, in the bottom right corner.
- Select the face of the part
- Edit / Align / Align X, part will move to the origin, Z 0. If the part is not correctly centered on the axis, use the Align X function again with a diameter selected.
- Create features
- Option 1 – Select the solid model, press CTRL + C and Smash the solid to create geometry. Using the geometry, create features to be used for the toolpath.
- Option 2 – Use the accessories add-in, turning feature recognition to automatically create the features
- Edit stock size and go to the assembly tab to control the location of chuck, torrent and part. When using automatic feature recognition, the machine origin value is used to locate the spindle. Otherwise you may edit the location of the spindle under the main spindle – Home Position, you will be editing the Z value.
Orientating Solid Model
- Enter SolidTurn
- Enable Sub-Elements
- Click on concentric feature (od in this case)
- Click on “X Orient”
The part will now be concentric to the centerline of the spindle.
- Click on the face of the part
- Click on “X Orient” once more.
Part is now concentric and aligned